More black people are collecting art (Netherlands)


Photo and copyright: My first Art collection
My First Art Collection, next edition : a course for prospective art collectors in the Netherlands. So this is not about the Rembrandts and Vermeers.

Do black people collect art? The answer is: Yes they do. And the number of black people who are collecting art is growing.

Two years ago Ricardo Burgzorg started the training program My First Art Collection, where prospective art collectors could get acquainted with the ins and outs of the art world. Burgzorg bridges the gap between collectors and museums, but also guides beginning art collectors in the art world. My first Art Collection focuses on young native and new Dutch people.

This season the programs in Amsterdam and Rotterdam have ended successfully. Due to the success, and the enthusiasm from all sides, the next course (2009 - 2010) will also start in The Hague. A year later, Arnhem and Groningen will follow. For more information go the website www.myfirstartcollection.com (Dutch)

On the site My first Art Collection there is an interesting video of art collecter and writer Judith Greer. In the video she visits the Frieze Art Fair in London (15-18 October 2009)

Judith Greer on Owning Art

“People come to collecting in different ways; I began nearly 20 years ago. My friends were artists, I started by buying early works. My relationship with art and artist is extremely important. But equally important are those with dealers, curators and other collectors. I read about art, I see endless exhibitions and still I'm learning.”

Judith Greer is co-author of Owning Art: The Contemporary Art Collector's Handbook, and chair of Artangel



My first piece of art was an big old photograph of a Carribean street in 1930. Now I am looking for a Gordon Parks orginal.

5 Comments

  1. please contact Diana at The Gordon Parks Foundation if you are interested in an original print by Gordon.
    diana@gordonparksfoundation.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice if this were true. I am a black artist and I am pretty much ignored by black people.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form